[aprssig] APRS DOS a time for change?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 11 14:37:30 EST 2008

> why after all these years... has APRS DOS
> not been ported over so that it could be
> run properly within a windows environment?

Because I don't know how.  So I released the source code years
ago with the hope that someone more talented than I in something
other than QBasic could do it.

> if APRSDOS was a windows program you might get
> more people to use it and thus the features.

My dream!

The closest attempt has been APRS-SCS, but after years of effort
by John, KB2SCS he reports only a few users and has pretty much
back-burnered it because of the issues with maps...

The XASTIR group also tries to get mosst of it implemented, but
then you have to run Linux to  use it.

I think that pretty much summs it up.  I keep crying over spilt
milk hoping to keep as many of the original concepts alive until
a fresh author comes up that has a few years of his spare time
that wants to tackle it.

Bob, WB4APR