[aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:16:09 EST 2008

>> This is a network supported by hams for hams.
>> If there is such a desire to create this
>> mystical UDP network for all the world to
>> enjoy, please focus on NOT using APRS-IS
>> out of respect to your fellow hams that
>> support APRS-IS.

I am no longer talking about an APRS-XO version for non hams.
Mostly this thread has convinced me that we need a new APRS
laptop program for Wireless internet users that has NONE of the
bulk of the APRS clients, but only an internet TX-Only routine
and message TX/RX routine.

If they want to view a map, they use any of the excellent
existing APRS web pages.  Every ham should have this on Every
one of his laptops, since it requires zero maps, zero tweaking,
and it just works.

We need ALL hams into APRS.

So if there is bias against using it as an incentive for
non-hams, that is fine with me.  But we should have it for all
hams.

Bob, Wb4APR