[aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Jan 10 14:15:52 EST 2008

It's equally easy to flood via TCP.  You can provide exactly the same
protection measures via UDP.  As for firewalls blocking UDP - I'd say
that's a very broad generalization.  If you want to get through
firewalls, then UDP is probably your best bet - specifically in the form
of DNS queries that could be used to post (and to query) position data.
  You could do that from all but the most heavily firewalled networks.

I really don't buy the argument that the validation code is what's
preventing abuses anyway.  Anyone with the very basic skill level
required to write a DoS script could also implement the validation code
algorithm and generate all of the codes they wanted.

I think a DoS attack on the APRS IS isn't the most likely scenario,
either.  What's the point?  It'd just be an act of vandalism against a
relatively little-known service.  On the other hand, how many APRS
clients were written with any thought toward preventing data-driven
attacks, in particular buffer overruns?  I would be very surprised if
there were no exploitable security holes in the major applications out
there.  An attack there would be replicated to all connected clients,
and could potentially turn all of the affected machines into
spam-spewing zombies, or just quietly install backdoors and phone home
to the attacker.  If you want to prevent apocalyptic APRS IS scenarios,
look there first.

Scott
N1VG