[aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Jan 9 21:37:10 EST 2008

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> ... I would like to build a map of all HAMS
>> with OLPC's to help us play and possibly MESH together..
>
> Wow, why not write a simple background APRS application called
> APRS-XO that only has to do one thing.  That is, to report the
> XO's position to the APRS-IS when ever it is in range of
> wireless access to the internet.!  See my proposal:
> http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/APRS-OLPC.html
>
> It does not need the other 99% of APRS (maps etc) since a simple
> URL to one of the APRS MAP web pages could plot then all the
> positions of all other other XO laptops!  Done.

  Wow, We read here often people complaining about 'dumb' transmit-only
trackers.  Now Bob's asking someone to write a dumb internet-transmit-only
tracker!
   The XO isn't the only platform for such a  beast. I was able to fondle
for a few minutes this afternoon a Nokia N810, which is  also equipped
with built-in GPS receiver and Wifi.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin