[aprssig] 2008 Worldwide New-N APRS Digipeater statistics Update

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 8 17:47:01 EST 2008

Here is the annual update on the state of the APRS network.  It
shows further penetration of the New-N paradigm, but also some
disturbing growth in obsolete digis too...  Unfortunately, these
global statistice include Europe which does not have the
standardization we are trying to achieve here in the USA.

New-N-Paradigm Digis as of 8 Jan 2008:
 S digis 1400, was 840  New-N's that support SSn-N
 L digis  130, was  63  Limited New-N's (Huh?)
 F digis   32, was  20  KPC3 old ver 8.2 FLOOD only
 P digis   35, was  17  New-N   Paccomms
 1 digis  180, was  61  New-N   one-hop digis

The following are all the obsolete digis.  Amazingly all of the
obsolete digipeaters are also still increasing, meaning too many
people are just slapping up digis without any idea of how to
optimize the network.

 N  520, was 380  Old -N's that flood and bad timings
 T  140, was 100  obsolete PacComm Trace digis
 U  184, was 110  UIDIGI ROMS needing updating to "S"
 D   90, was  46  DIGI_NED needing updating to "S"
 R   95, was  72  obsolete RELAY. Should be WIDE1-1
 W   28, was  12  obsolete WIDE.  Should be WIDE1-1

Most of these are from too many home stations trying to be
digis...
Sheesh...
Bob, WB4APR

else,
> those "T" digis should be the focus.  Once the commands are
> sent, then it becomes a "P" digi.
>
> There are still a huge number of "N" digis, and the fact that
> they have not been updated (again, trivial to do via remote
> logon only) means they are contributing a lot of unnecessary
QRM