[aprssig] Position Ambituity in APRS!

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Tue Jan 8 14:27:59 EST 2008

on 1/8/2008 12:24 PM Robert Bruninga said the following:
> I still don't like polygons.  These Boxes drawn exactly on a
> LAT/LONG grid imply a precise boundary of ambiguity which is
> totally missleading and of drastically differrent sizes from the
> eauator to the poles.  They just convey the wrong information
> completely.

It's not that it's a "box" that implies a precise boundary -- it's the LINE
drawn that implies a boundary. Lines have been implying boundaries for a
very long time, whether they are straight or curved.

It's nice that APRSdos wants to show ambiguity with a circle, but I disagree
that a line curved into a circle implies anything different that a line
formed into a box *ON THE FACE OF IT*. Now, since you say the amb. circle is
a representation of something not known, that is fine as it is documented.
However, you could have just as easily had APRSdos draw a box and defined
the box as the representation of ambiguity. If it's just a representation,
it doesn't matter what the exact shape is, right?

Ideally, I guess, an ambiguity should be represented by a shading gradient
shape rather than some shape with sharp boundaries. A shape of any kind with
sharp boundaries will always imply (on the face) a reality with sharp
boundaries.

(Yes, I know a gradient shape would be difficult if not impossible to
implement in 16-bit GWBASIC that is the basis for APRSdos. I am not faulting
Bob on the limitations of the programmign environment. But Bob, wouldn't it
be more constructive to encourage authors of other APRS clients to overcome
the limitations in APRSdos graphics rather than insisting that if it's not
done like APRSdos it's wrong?)

-Lance KJ5O