[aprssig] Position Ambituity in APRS!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 8 13:24:06 EST 2008

I still don't like polygons.  These Boxes drawn exactly on a
LAT/LONG grid imply a precise boundary of ambiguity which is
totally missleading and of drastically differrent sizes from the
eauator to the poles.  They just convey the wrong information
completely.

I like the original APRSdos circles whos radius approximates the
degree of ambiguity.  This completely eliminates any distortion
no matter where on the planet they occur.

Bob WB4APR

WE7U
> Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:17 PM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Position Ambituity in APRS!
>
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Steve Dimse wrote:
>
> > You do not have the ability to place the
> > center anywhere you want, just in the center of pre-defined
> polygons,
> > with predetermined radii. (And sorry Curt, my extreme
nitpicking
> > suggests the linear projection of these polygons is never a
> rectangle.
> > For ambiguities that do not cross the poles or equator (the
> only case
> > allowed by the protocol), the border away from the equator
> is shorter
> > than border towards the equator, making it a trapezoid.
Though they
> > can't be represented by the APRS implementation, ambiguities
that
> > cross the equator would be hexagons, and the interesting
> polar case is
> > left as an exercise for the reader!)
>
> Saw your correction right after this calling them a trapezoid.
> Trapezoids are correct - For some projections.  They'd be
trapezoids
> with slightly curved sides (which I'm sure goes against the
> _mathematical_ definition of trapezoids, but who cares!).
>
> For unprojected lat/long, they're rectangles, even at the
polar

<www.xastir.org>