[aprssig] Position Ambituity in APRS!

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Jan 7 16:45:13 EST 2008

So let's say you're at 35 58.12 N, 119 45.70 W.  Does APRSdos round that
to the closest degree (36 N, 120 W) or does it just truncate like
everything else does?  If it's just truncating, then I think a rectangle
is a more accurate representation than a circle centered on the given
point - in this case  I don't think the actual point would even be IN
the circle.

I'd rather have an estimated exact location, and a 50% CEP radius or
similar metric for ambiguity.  That'd fit nicely with vicinity tracking
- the point would be the location of the receiving digipeater (which is
precisely known) and the radius would be proportional to the range of
the digi.  As it is, if your digi is right in the middle of the
rectangle, its only option is to provide a corner of that rectangle as
the starting point, which is going to be less accurate.

Scott
N1VG