[aprssig] Re: OLPC positions and MESH-ing

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 7 09:01:01 EST 2008

>> How much future is there in this?... the window
>> for "civilians" in the US to buy these machines
>> domestically has closed.

My hope was that that window was just a marketing window for
that particular deal.  As production ramps up, a new deal will
be forthcoming?

> On top of that, Intel just pulled their funding
> and technical support from the project...

My understanding was that was "good riddance" on the part of the
OLPC team.  INTEL only wanted to maximize profit and
performance.  Could care less about the original objective of
optimum educational objective in a villiage environment.

> How many hams have them now and more importantly,
> will there be any more in the future?

Good question, and that was why I suggested building a database
of hams with them, including position so we can see the big
picture...