[aprssig] Cruise

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Jan 6 01:48:33 EST 2008

This individual DID disregard the Part 97 rules, though.  Specifically
97.11(a):

(a) The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or
aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command
of the aircraft.

And yes, home-built battery packs are a problem these days.  I was going
to build one for my laptop and decided against it - my factory-built APC
Li-poly external battery pack gets enough scrutiny as it is.

Check this one out:

http://www.natch.net/stuff/TSA/

It's a dual D-cell pack, but the TSA flags it because it's got a DC-DC
converter on it that looks funny.  What absolutely amazes me about this
one is the resolution - a REAL law enforcement officer gets involved,
and brings a little common sense to the situation:

"At this time one of the PAPD officers gets a brilliant idea, and I'm so
glad he did. He picks up USB FlexLight and asks, "Is this a light?" I
said yes. He asks if it will light up if he plugs it into the battery
charger. I had never done this test before, but 5v 500ma is 5v 500ma. I
say yes and he plugs it in.

The USB FlexLight puts out a faint white glow and he gestures it around.
The PAPD officers look over at [the TSA agent] as if to say, "So what's
your problem? Fuhgettabout it!"

Most of these stories don't end so well.  I think it's a good example of
the difference between actual cops (who, you know, live and work in the
real world) and the sort of people that you usually find working for the
TSA - or cruise ship security.

Scott
N1VG