[aprssig] APRS Authors - New Symbols

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri Feb 15 09:19:44 EST 2008

w2kb at comcast.net, Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:43:00 +0000:

>Perhaps the Salvation Army logo, with only "SA" so it can be easily read?

I don't know what SATERN is, but it seems to be a voluntary emergency
aid service.

I'd think that APRS should show ONE symbol for such services. I could
understand if the Red Cross internationally wouldn't like their symbol
to be regarded as THE common icon; emergency helicopters and
ambulances tend to use the bluish three-part-"cross" (6 ends rather
than 4), so our lot should maybe replace the red cross with that one,
and allow overlay letters. No trouble with crescents, david stars,
whatever.
(but the Geneva convention still requests medic personnel in armed
forces, and medical tents and buildings during a war, to use the
Geneva Cross, which looks just like a Red Cross cross.)

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway