[aprssig] FINDU Weather Intermittency

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Feb 9 11:03:43 EST 2008

As of about 1400z today, cwop1.tamu.edu went live and entered the
cwop.aprs.net rotation in place of first.aprs.net and second.aprs.net.
Over time, I anticipate adding several more CWOP-only sites.  At the
same time, I'm working with NOAA, CWOP (they're officially separate) and
the software developers to effect a transition to the CWOP-dedicated
servers.

At the same time, with the loss of THIRD and FOURTH, which I am really
sorry to see go, I'm recruiting another Core server or two.  For a
variety of reasons, I'll be looking toward members of the Academic
community to help with this, but to be blunt, for the most part it's to
mitigate the bandwidth issues.

I anticipate a couple of rough weeks while we make some changes, but I
think I can say that we're doing the best to minimize trauma in the
process to the APRS community as well as the CWOP community.

Jim, I, too, am excited by CWOP and what it offers for both operational
and research atmospheric sciences.  It's too valuable an asset to allow
it to have serious problems.

73 gerry n5jxs