[aprssig] FINDU Weather Intermittency

Jim Duncan jdbandman at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 8 18:38:10 EST 2008

I am excited about what the CWOP people have been doing. At the outset I
questioned whether they should be on the APRS servers because of the
possibility of accidental porting of CWOP station data out via APRS
stations.

At the time I asked Riley Hollingsworth his opinion on the legality of
this and it was his opinion at this would constitute remote control by
an unlicensed operator and the station licensee which transmitted the
information would be liable for a violation.

Now, that being said, the growth of CWOP has been phenomenal and it has
provided not only an opportunity for non-hams to participate in severe
weather and routine weather condition reporting but has also inspired a
lot of people to get their ham licenses which is always a positive thing!

I certainly believe that the move to take CWOP's off of the APRS system
and provide an independent system is an excellent idea. It would
certainly be easy enough for those who wish to monitor that data to do
so in APRS and I am certain that there are people out there that
appreciate having this information readily available, especially the
National Weather Service personnel locally here.

I wish the CWOP group continued success as they move forward and salute
them for their volunteerism!

73 de Jim Duncan, KU0G