[aprssig] ATV integration idea

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Feb 7 21:45:55 EST 2008

Wes AI4PX wrote...

> There is a speed threshold you can set, and most people set it to
> something low like 4 mph.  If below the threshold, the GPS will use
> the compass, above it and it calculates a heading based on motion...

I hear what you are saying, but are you sure the GPS receiver outputs
the compass heading as part of the NMEA data? No matter what, the GPS
receiver must be reasonably level for the flux gate compass to work. The
factory setting for the speed threshold is 10 mph to toggle from flux
gate to GPS bearing, but it can be configured anywhere between zero and
99 mph or kph. However, as far as I know, the flux gate compass is only
for use on the LCD display... i.e. it doesn't output the flux gate
compass bearing, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Hopefully you can come up with another way to beacon the camera azimuth.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH