[aprssig] RE: Balloon Launch Information Bulletins

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Feb 7 19:11:48 EST 2008

> Do we have to be careful on the selection of
> bulletin numbers to not wipe out some other
> person's beacon?  Or are they indexed to
> the sender.

They are indexed by sender's call, so there can be multiple
BLN1's for example.

Also, in the D700 and D7 and all other APRS software, you can
also set up MSG groups.  Just add "VWS" to all of youir
participant's MSG lists and then any message sent to "VWS" will
go to all of them without bothering everyone else.

There is no ACK, but it will be sent 5 times which is sure to
get to everyone.  So I would use BLN# for general announcements
to ALL aprs mobiles in the surrounding areas, and use team
specific messages to VWS so that all in your group see them, but
they  don't fill up everyone elses message buffers.

Remind everyone to keep their message buffer cleared of old
messages, or they might start rejecting them.  They can only
keep 10 (or is it 16?)...

APRS.  Its not just icons on a map...

Bob, WB4APR

> Guess I will go look it up!
>
> 73, tom n4zpt
> Vienna Wireless Society Balloon Coordinator
>

> Robert Bruninga wrote:
> >> This is the heads up for the Vienna Wireless
> >> Society VWS-6 balloon flight.
> >> ... is intending to launch VWS-6, an amateur
> >> radio balloon flight, this Saturday around
> >> 10:00 am EST from Strasburg, VA.
> >
> > Andre, Can we get the following back to the VWS powers that
be:

> > *** Please put out local APRS bulletins on the status of the
> > launch so that mobiles will be alerted to this activity.  It
> > doesn't take much to send out a bulletin to be received by
all
> > the mobiles in real time:
> > You can even do it from your D7 or D700:
> >
> > 1) Since this is a regional activity, go ahead and violate
the
> > usual 2 hop path receommendation and use 3 hops.  This
should
> > cover the 6 state area.
> >
> > 2) Send your bulletins using the message address of BLN#
where #
> > is the number of the one-line bulletin.
> >
> > 3) Use sequential BLN# numbers if the information is new.
But
> > you can also re-use the same BLN# to overwrite (or in effect
> > cancel) a previous bulletin.
> >
> > 4) Your bulletin can even contain the text [Balloon in view]
and
> > any APRS software with voice code will speak it.  The D700
will
> > speak some words, but I forget the vocabulary.
> >
> > APRS is an information distributino resource.  Plesae use it
> > keep everyone informed about the progress of this launch.
Not