[aprssig] Preventing D700 & GPS Resets - Mobile

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Sun Feb 3 08:39:21 EST 2008

Hi...

The only way you will "Burn" anything (and I have seen it done, very spectacular!) accessory wise while starting a vehicle engine, is if said accessory has a direct connection to the battery negative with no fuse, AND a direct connection (antenna cable) to the vehicle frame or body. AND there is a bad battery ground strap.  THEN  a fair proportion of the starter cranking current will find it's way back to the battery via your expensive accessory, showing up any weeknesses in it's internal wiring.

It is for this reason that many (most) Ham Radio sets intended for use in a vehicle have both the +ve and -ve leads fused.    If ever the -ve fuse blows, and you have an instalation like the above, look for a bad battery ground strap.   It is quite a common fault on older vehicles.

Poor starting, bad charging, dim head lights, "strange" instrument readings at night, suden reports of poor TX audio (odd noises) etc, are othe symptoms that should make you go inspect the battery and engine ground's..

Take care.

73.

Dave G0WBX.