[aprssig] Nuvi messaging

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Feb 1 23:41:59 EST 2008

I got the message origination working.  At least for replies.  In the
current state, anything you enter in the new message screen gets sent to
the last person to send you a message.

Next, I've got to figure out how to handle addressing.  It'll probably
wind up being something like using colons to bracket the address - it
needs to be something the tracker can identify in the first character,
and it also needs to mark the last character.

I'm trying to stick with some character that's easy to get to.
Switching between letter mode and number mode is faster than getting to
the symbols, and the number mode includes '-', so maybe the easiest way
will be to use -callsign-ssid followed by a space.  For example:

-n1vg-2 Hello.

Not pretty, maybe, but fast to enter.  Of course, the destination will
get automatically capitalized and everything.  Maybe the other units
have a different keyboard layout, but I can't imagine them being any
MORE difficult to enter the - and space characters.

I could also go with 'To' for the header, but there's too much potential
to get confused with the contents of a reply message.  And I really want
to make reply-to-last the default behavior - it'll speed up QSOs and
reduce errors.

Still plenty of stuff to do.  I'm going to work on getting some use out
of the Nuvi's message queueing, and having the pending/sent status
reflect whether it's actually been ack'd by the receiving station yet.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get my IGate back on the air and try it out for some
live QSOs.

Scott
N1VG