[aprssig] Objects vs real stations

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Dec 31 15:16:08 EST 2008

> Those not running with good anti-spam filters, will see a whole lot more
> spam coming through the arrl.net address than you are seeing.
>
> I had my arrl.net address turned off for a really long time because of
> spam that came through that route. I've finally manged to get my
> spamassassin settings set to where it is back down to an acceptble
> level.

I don't know if they're being scraped from a directory, or if spammers
just know that they can look up ham calls and paste on arrl.net -
they're not dumb, so it wouldn't surprise me.

With my existing email addresses, I get on the order of 1000 spam
messages per day.  Maybe 10% of those get by spamassassin, and half of
those get by Thunderbird and my own custom rules.  So even with good
filters, I really don't need to be adding to my spam load.

And you can add to that the fact that I don't like entrusting my email
to a third party.  So yeah, I'm an ARRL member (or was, last time I
checked - did I get QST this month?) but I don't plan to use their email
service.

If you want to do email association, it really needs a proper database.

Scott
N1VG