[aprssig] Objects vs real stations

Jack Spitznagel frawg at frawg.org
Wed Dec 31 14:39:22 EST 2008

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Yes, I assumed that any active amateur radio operator would be a member of the National Organization for Amateur Radio,  (the ARRL).
Bob,

/*extreme irony switch on*/

Isn't that like assuming everyone is happy to pay taxes to keep roads
and bridges from breaking up and/or falling down even though they drive
millions of miles on those roads?

The civic responsibility concept has been an "obsolete" idea since 1980!
To support anything that does not directly benefit "me now" would be
un-American! United? States? To actually DO SOMETHING with other
like-minded people FOR THE BENEFIT of folks in the future ???? Absurd!!!

/*extreme irony switch off*/

I thought the whole QST vs 73 controversy about who "owns" ham radio had
died long ago. Haven't we learned from  such varied interests as AOPA,
the NRA, the Nature Conservancy, and "Big Pharma" - that standing
together and working for some common goals actually works? I guess
not... Just too much to ask in a free society.

All that being said... I am a member, have an ARRL address, and agree
with you.

Jack - kd4iz - the curmudgeon