[aprssig] Objects vs real stations..

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 31 13:41:23 EST 2008

HI,
I thought the SSn-N path was to help trace paths of packets and to identify what state the digi was in.  I am not an expert in this but have been learning and using APRS for many years.  I recently set up a digi where I live on a moderately high location that was available and was relatively easy to reach.  It is in the East-South East part of the County.  A few miles to the East and you are in the neighboring county.  For a few years we had a operator set up a low profile digi at his home but he shut it off when he went North to College.  He was very centrally located in the county.  It was geographically great for a digi.  To my West is a digi centrally located in that county.  Northwest is another digi centrally located in that county.

To me, something is better than nothing.  Five years ago my digi was at the County Services Building where I live.  A few miles West of where it is now.  Again, something was better than nothing.  The EOC used to be there.  I didn't program the digi to show the red building with the EOC letters though.  I had the green star symbol.

The EOC has been moved since then to a non friendly radio location.  A single story building that doesn't offer any high spot for a digi.

I have a weather station on a shelf(been there for 12 years and no longer supported by its retailer).  I am sure it will work but I want to set it up to transmit to APRS as well.  Someday, maybe.

I may have some more opinion for you, good luck in your endeavour.

Chris
KB8UIH