[aprssig] Objects vs real stations

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 31 10:09:32 EST 2008

> In a nut shell APRS in our area ...
> has been screwed up for some time
> because of improperly set up stations.

AMEN!

> Why people over 300 miles from us assume
> that we need to see their exisitance is
> beyond me...
>
> As you know, I've tried numerous times to
> help people understand what they are
> doing..  Unforetunately, there's an
> overwhelming amount of good and bad
> information on.. the web.

Thanks for the report.  Same here.  We need everyone that actually tries to use APRS to take such an active role in the clean-up and moving forward on all the initiatives to return APRS to a viable information and communications system.

EDUCATION:
1) One fixed path (WIDEn-N with small value of N)
2) Now there is one mobile path (WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1)
3) Now there is one WEB SITE (www.aprs.org)
4) Every digi should show Wn, SSn-N for its area

LOCALINFO:
Important local info for travelers and first responders transmitted DIRECT or at most 1 hop:
a) Locally recommended voice freq (direct, no hops)
b) Local IRLP, Winlink and EchoLink nodes
c) Local net times and meetings
d) Incident and traffic reports and objects
e) Voice calling freq of every operator on the air
f) including one-way trackers! (freq in beacon)
f) FM Satellite objects in view
g) See www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

UNIVERSAL MESSAGING:
a) Every ham should set his ARRL email address
b) every wireless gizmo should support text messaging
c) we need a APRS<=>FT-51/TH-78 txt msg translator
d) We need APRStt for using any DTMF HT for messaging
e) see www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

APRS and he APRS-IS is the glue that can bring ham radio connectivity into the digital age of universal communicatiosn by callsign-alone anywhere, anytime, any device.

Lets contact these lights-on-nobody-home and obsolete digi operators and get things fixed.  It takes all of us..

Bob, WB4APR