[aprssig] Objects vs real stations

George Planic w9gwp at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 09:30:22 EST 2008

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:50:48 +0000
From: n9ij at comcast.net (Len N9IJ)
Subject: [aprssig] Objects vs real stations..

Len,

In a nut shell APRS in our area around us has been screwed up for some time because of improperly set up stations.  From where I sit and RX, ( practically in your back yard  hi hi ) our freq is over loaded by fixed stations using WIDE 3-3 and WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2, and yes believe it or not WIDE3-3, WIDE1-1.

Why people over 300 miles from us assume that we need to see their exisitance is beyond me, but that's a question that will for ever haunt me.  :-))

As you know, I've tried numerous times to help people understand what they are doing to the surrounding network.
Unforetunately, there's an overwhelming amount of good and bad information on the use and set up of APRS on the web.  On countless times when I've tried to educate someone on the proper use and set up, I've been told " well, I found these settings on the web so they have to be right" ... hence, no change and my forehead started to become flat hi hi so I gave up.

As for the EOC "object", that's up there because the PC in the EOC running UIV consistantly dies or locks up or drops off line because of the weekly generator tests .... yea I know ( how about a UPS ) ... you know the story there, no need to beat on that one.  John is working on getting a reliable PC working on that.  The EOC does act as a WIDE1-1 digi ( at least it did when I set it up 3 years ago ).

As for the WX stations,  I guess they are either home icons or WX icons.  Those of us that are putting our WX info out actually look at the other stations to compare station information such as rain fall.  Storm paths in our area have shown interesting rain fall amounts between the 4 of us, unforetunately, RACES doesn't make use of this information, again, no need to beat on that one too hi hi.  These WX stations also act as WIDE 1-1 digi's.

My APRS rig went feet up a few months ago and honestly, I'm finding my self in no rush to get it back on the air just to see the RX on a steady "busy" state. hi hi.

Happy Holidays to all,

Len, I'll catch you on W9GWP/r some day on the drive time.

73,

George, W9GWP