[aprssig] Another Bootlegger Using APRS As a Commercial AVL System ???

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Dec 28 10:01:36 EST 2008

The APRS IS was never intended to be an amateur radio only resource.
At one point there was a mechanism to identify packets which came from
licensed operators. The author of one of the early hub programs felt
the release of that algorithm was required under the open source GPL
license. Once he published the source code to that algorithm, even
this minimal authentication was gone forever. Anything that would
secure the APRS IS, or secure the RF network from bootleggers, whould
be an enormous undertaking, obsoleting all kinds of hardware and
software. I doub it will ever happen.

With anything involving the APRS IS, it is important to keep in mind
that anyone can send anything to the APRS IS. Even the presence of
ETI-1's packets on the APRS IS, complete with a digi path indicating
they originated on RF, does not even prove they originated on RF. I
can send a packet to the APRS IS that shows K1LNX-3 just transmitted
here in the Florida Keys. The fake packet would be completely
untraceable and undetectable. That said, I do think it is probable
this is a guy transmitting on RF rather than an elaborate hoax.

There is no proof this guy is a bootlegger. If you go strictly by
numbers, there have been more hams that have placed tactical calls in
their tracker without placing their calls in status messages than
there have been bootleggers. Given the number of packets seen on
findU, I'll grant it is more than 50-50 the guy is a bootlegger, but
it is far from proven.

I checked the findU logs because I do not want a commercial entity
using findU. Had I found a pattern of viewing of ETI-1, I would have
tried to track it down using the IP address of the requesting
computer. If that failed I would have put a block on that call,
replacing the normal page with a message to contact me. Since there
was no activity on findU, there is no point, if this person is using
an APRS database it is not mine.

Steve K4HG