[aprssig] APRS-IS to NMEA sentence generator

Gregory A. Carter gcarter at openaprs.net
Tue Dec 9 18:01:14 EST 2008

You can snag a live datastream in NMEA waypoint format from OpenAPRS's DCC
interface.  Here is an example:

telnet dcc.openaprs.net 2620
Trying dcc.openaprs.net...
Connected to dcc.openaprs.
Escape character is '^]'.
001 MS:I am a OpenAPRS v1.01.02.
002 MS:Please login by typing ``.LN <email> <password> [client]''
.LN guest guest
100 MS:Login successful.
109 CL:GUEST
.LV NMA:yes
317 ON:yes|MS:Live set to ON.
$GPWPL,04621.62,N,00700.09,E,HB9AS-4*48
$GPWPL,03237.02,N,09453.10,W,146.640-R*34
$GPWPL,03228.58,N,08457.06,W,KY7DR-2*4B
$GPWPL,04052.20,N,08434.80,W,W8FY-3*5
$GPWPL,04210.46,N,08817.14,W,WB9SFG*11
$GPWPL,04521.86,N,00941.08,E,IK2CHZ*12

Only thing an application must do is repond to the ping requests sent by the
client that is connected to it.  The response is simply .PN whever it
recieves a reply number 106.  Obviously you'd have to code a little bit of a
client to connect up, login and handle a minimum of requests from the server
but it would be far easier than parsing a full APRS stream.  The NMEA
waypoints also support objects as well.

For more information:  http://dcc.openaprs.net/

Greg

NV6G
OpenAPRS.Net

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Paul Vittorino
<wizeight+aprssig at gmail.com<wizeight%2Baprssig at gmail.com>