[aprssig] OpenAPRS WEB page

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 20 21:14:34 EDT 2008

> I'm guessing you just have to take a guess that if 5 digits
> follow PHG then they are also indicating beacon times?

These are the original spec, and all the ...'s represent the
remaining useable TEXT field.

PHGxxxx text....
PHGxxxx/text....
PHGxxxx,text.... Is ok too
PHGxxxx?text.... IE, the next byte after xxxx was a delimiter

IN all cases, any remaining TEXT field was supposed to ignore
leading delimiters or as a minimum, leading SPACEs.

When the need for beacon Rates was identified, we added it on
the end of PHG...

PHGxxxxR.... For a beacon rate (fixed length) with no following
delimiter

But then the text begins right after the R and is not as
readable in raw packet form.

It would be good to see what all decoding systems do with all
the above examples...

Bob, WB4APR...

> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Robert Bruninga
> <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>

> 	> The PGH strings which I have set up contains a
> 	> fifth number representing the number of beacons
>
> 	> per hour. For LD1FA, 4. For my home call, 2.
>
> 	> But they are regarded as the first part of the
> 	> rest of the status message, rather than part of
>
> 	> the PHG, on oaprs. And the explanation window
>
> 	> only speaks about 4 digits after the characters
> 	> 'PGH'.
>

> 	Yes, the 5th digit was used as a possible way of seeing
no only
> 	eomeones effective RF range but by also sestting the
beacons per
> 	hour, one could tell how reliably he was being received.
But
> 	this depended on parsers to "assume" a delimiter after
the
> 	original SPEC values of PHGxxxx,text......  So we found
we could
> 	replace that  comma delimiter with that beacon rate
digit.

> 	But this was probably mostly forgotten.  But it is good
that you
> 	raise it up.  It would be nice to get feedback on
any/all
> 	systems that by-luck, parse the 5th digit and do not
mess up
> 	their text, and those that do.  It wuold be nice to see
how the