[aprssig] Network Latency and uiview.

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Aug 20 12:04:24 EDT 2008

I just looked up my car's position on findu as a lark.  I know where it
is... lol.  And I know that I sat there in the parking lot this morning and
waited until I saw "my pos" on my trusty kewood mobile.  Trouble is, findu
shows me several miles away... as if my last posit didn't get into the
system.

Closer examination shows that a packet I sent at 11:31:51 utc was igated at
11:33:49 by a station several miles north of me, and again at 11:44:27 by a
station way west of me.  The band was open this morning, and we were going
several seconds in a row w/ no slots open, but sheesh.

20080820113151,AI4PX-9>SS5U1W,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,qAR,KC4PL:'lCo h$j/]"5#}
20080820113349,AI4PX-9>SS5U1W,K4CCC-10,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2,qAR,WA4SAS-11:'lCo
h$j/]"5#}
20080820114427,AI4PX-9>SS5U1W,K4CCC-10,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,WR4RD:'lCo
h$j/]"5#}

Coincidentally, WR4RD is running UIview.  Last time I noticed delays like
this it was with ww6jc in Columbia SC who was running UIview.  No ill will
toward either of these stations... but it seems that each time we have
incredible latency in an igate, UIview seems to be at the center of the
mess.

Who else has noticed this latency?  We went down this road about 2 years
ago, and everything was suggested from the tier 2 servers, to slow home
internet connections to TNCs with squelches stuck open.  As I recall, we
ruled all of these things out when the issue came up when ww6jc was delayed
igating packets.

Again, this is NOT a slam on either of the operators I've mentioned here...
this is simply trying to pin down a delay that I suspect UIview is causing.
--
Wes
---