[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 15 19:59:19 EDT 2008

> here in Australia we need to use positionless-weather
> data as it is currently the only way we can get
> weather information from the Government
> Weather Authority out to APRS RF.

I don't understand.  No matter where you get WX data, there has
to be a location where the weather data was taken.  The only
question is whether that data is added to a LAT/LONG in every WX
packet or only "associated" once an hour with a separate
position report from that WX station.  Maybe you are referring
to all the other weather products and information.  But still a
hurricane report is useless without knowing where it is.  A
tornado report is useless without konwing where it is.  A rain
report is useless without identifing where the rain gage is..
Etc.

> We don't have the same facilities available to us
> here as you do in the US.

I don't understand how you can do anything with WX data without
knowing where it was measured?

Thanks
Bob, Wb4APR

> > Which is exactly why we need to get get rid of this
> > positionless-weather abomination and at least make sure that
the
> > WX that we do deliver over our meager 1200 baud APRS channel
> > the mobile is at least useful and complete, instead of
sending
> > positionless Weather most of the time of no use to the
mobile
> > traveler, even though he is receiving it every 10 minutes...
But
> > cannnot use it until an hour or more when he finally gets a
> > position to match it to.  Which by then he is in the next
county
> > or state...
> >
> > > It was a nice dream, but it is over.  Ham radio
> > > could not match the economy of scale of the cell
> > > phone industry. I say, use each system for what
> > > it does best.
> >
> > Yes.  Send a WX report complete with its position.  Best for
> > everyone.
> >
> > > And as always, if you really need to know a WX
> > > station's position, you can send ?APRSP? to them.
> >
> > I'd rather send every WX report in the original APRS
"complete"
> > format so that every single packet has complete meaning to
> > anyone/everyone that receives it in real time, rather than
> > sending out the weather as a "tease" and then suggsting, "
now
> > if you want to know WHERE this rain or this cool temp, or
this
> > wind is, you have to wait an hour or ASK me for it with
about a