[aprssig] APRS Voice Alert

Ron Wenig rwenig at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 12:07:41 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to implement the voice alert process from the house.  I have an
Icom IC-2720 with a Kantronics KPC3+.  I'm using the data port of the radio.
I see the packets on the s meter of the radio but the kpc3 receive light
doesn't come on therefore I'm not decoding any packets.  I have also tried
this using the speaker and mic instead of the data port.  Is this because
the radio doesn't pass the packets because I have tone squelch set  If this
is the case I guess I can't use this radio for voice alert.  I saw somewhere
that the data input has to be in the discriminator circuit for voice alert
to work so maybe this is my problem with tone squelch.  This may be the
reason more people are not using it.

73, Ron ny3j