[aprssig] Fuel Stops

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Aug 12 17:40:09 EDT 2008

> Might I suggest something.
> Nothing says it has to be on the main APRS channel.

Now that is another great idea!  ANd since the other channel would not have digipeaters on it, then the temptation to SPAM thousands of square miles appropriate to some of the big egos would be limited.

I am wholehartedly in support of this idea.  And these bacons could use tiny tracking devices instead of requiring full-up APRS stations, and so could be set on this alternate channel to beacon every MINUTE locally, simplex, DIRECT.  Thus assuring that it remains local, and that the channel could EASILY handle hundreds of these devices.

We would hope to find a common channel (not 144.99 which is reserved as an alt-input channel for APRS).  SHucks, I'd suggest 145.55 the old abandoned SAREX channel if not already in use.

THen a single 10 minute (local) FREQUENCY OBJECT beacon on 144.39 would advise travelers of this BEACON frequency whereever they were.  MOnitoring the channel for 1 minute should give you the local info you need!

But until we break the "tracker mentality" and get everyone to realize that APRS was supposed to be a local info resource for display to the local and mobile operator, we have a long way to go...

Bob, WB4APR