[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Daron Wilson daron at wilson.org
Tue Aug 12 15:29:43 EDT 2008

> So the wx telemetry transmitted every 5-minutes but the APRS station
> "beacon", showing location, callsign, symbol, etc would only transmit
> every 30-minutes.  It was a fixed location and did not need to beacon
> more often than twice an hour.  We adopted that philosophy to all fixed
> stations.

When we first started with our Peet stations, we had them plugged right into
the KPC3+ TNCs, which put weather out there that was displayable on many
client programs, but not the kenwoods.  The quick fix we tried was a WXTrak
in parallel with the KPC3+ so we could push weather out that was readable on
the kenwoods, and also have the KPC3+ for digipeating.  There were
conflicts, so we finally build a box called the WXDog that interprets the
Peet string, massages it, and fills in the buffers of the KPC3+ with it so
that weather packets going out every time have POSITION and WEATHER as they
should.  It was a bit of work, I think we have one more station to change
out, then they'll all be standard that way.

73