[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Boyd Prestwood K5YKG k5ykg at arrl.net
Tue Aug 12 13:10:32 EDT 2008

Starting from about 1993, I was the trustee for two Peet Bros weather
stations, two wide area digipeaters, a home station and a full-blown
laptop APRS mobile station.  I was also the trustee of the Skywarn
station at the NWSFO in Phildelphia which moved to Westampton NJ,
WX2PHI.  I was also the ARES SEC for ARRL's Southern NJ section (9
counties) for 28-years.  As such, I, along with the SEC of NNJ,
organized meetings comprised of all the wide-area digi and wx-station
operators in the SNJ, EPA, DEL, and MD-DC sections as well as the NNJ
section.  These were the areas covered by "Philadelphia" office &
coordinated with the "NYC" NWSFO.  Instead of trying to impose OUR will
on them and other served-agencies, we contacted OEM, Red Cross,
Salvation Army etc and yes, the NWS to ask how the hams, running APRS,
could best serve THEM.  They were already familiar with Amateur Radio in
other aspects such as ARES, RACES, NTS, etc.

With regard to the NWS, they told us that they read their wx-reporting
sensors at 10-minute intervals.  These were the "Philadelphia" & "New
York City" offices.   I don't know what other offices did but the
"Philadelphia" MIC told me they were all pretty much standard with the
10-minute reading cycle.  They asked us to transmit our APRS weather
telemetry at 5-minute intervals so that any data they read from the APRS
station monitor at the NWSFO (which they walked over to view at their
10-minute interval) would never be over 5-minutes old.  They would deem
this data as reliable.

So the wx telemetry transmitted every 5-minutes but the APRS station
"beacon", showing location, callsign, symbol, etc would only transmit
every 30-minutes.  It was a fixed location and did not need to beacon
more often than twice an hour.  We adopted that philosophy to all fixed
stations.  GPS-equipped mobiles that moved around a lot could transmit
their location at 1-minute intervals and not cause congestion and anyone
looking at maps would see an accurate, professional and truthful
representation with valid and up-to-date information. All of this was
before the New n-N paradigm was instituted.  I resigned all my public
service involvement in 1998 and subsequently moved back to Texas in 2004
so I have no idea of what's being done now, but the foregoing worked and
worked well at the time.

I offer this for what it's worth!
73 de Boyd Prestwood, K5YKG (ex-W2HOB)