[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Tue Aug 12 09:44:53 EDT 2008

I also believe WX packets once every 5 minutes is a too frequent routine
(especially on VHF), and especially if sent over more than one digipeater
hop.  I hope you will consider giving your fellow hams on VHF a bit of a
break.  NWS doesn't have any use for the data more frequently than once
every 15 minutes.
73, Cap KE6AFE

The following is from the FAQ at
http://www.wxqa.com/faq.html .

1. How often should I send data? Any packet rate that you are comfortable
with is fine with us as long as it is not faster than one data packet every
9 or 10 minutes. Right now data are sent from findu.com to NOAA every 15
minutes, so one packet every 10 minutes is adequate. We recommend that you
set your software so that the first packet of the hour is sent in the minute
that matches the last number in your CW ID or ham callsign. The purpose of
this is to even out the data flow received by the APRS-IS servers to reduce
the number of connects at multiples of 5 minutes after top of the hour. If
your application does not let you set the start time or if your last number
is 0 or 5, select a time interval of 9 or 11 minutes.

<snip>