[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Daron Wilson daron at wilson.org
Tue Aug 12 00:32:14 EDT 2008

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  If the station is transmitting weather, it is of
course valid data.  If it is a house saying 'here I am', I fail to see the
value.  Several of our weather stations are at houses, but I don't broadcast
a beacon from my home saying 'here is my house' because I don't see any
advantage to it.

Another consideration is how you transmit weather.  Plugging a weather
station into a KPC3+ for example will give you weather, but not in the
proper format.  Our stations use a custom processor that we make and program
that takes the data from our Peet weather stations, and formats proper APRS
packets so that each weather report goes with a position report, AND is
displayed nicely on the Kenwood radios.

73