[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Sun Aug 10 12:42:12 EDT 2008

The point is that a weather station is more than just a base station.
When we started the weather program back in  the 90's using the TAPR
T-238 with the DalSemi OneWire weather station we settled on averaging
and reporting every 5 minutes. This was the happy compromise between
timely data for the NWS and network congestion. We had the 238 doing
some of  the processing utlimately done at the far end.

  The guys doing 1 minute broadcasts are wrong, but calling it a base
station and restricting it to 10 minutes is equally ill-informed. Its
a classic quick-fix that resolves nothing. The weather guys need some
processing added to their controllers and need to throttle back to 5
minutes. They also need to analyze their topology and see just how
many of them really need three hops.

--
cheers ... 73 de brian  riley,  n1bq , underhill center, vermont
   <http://web.mac.com/brianbr/>  Tech Blog