[aprssig] Email addresses in APRS

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Sun Aug 10 12:40:49 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 11:36:03AM -0400, Bob Bruninga  wrote:
> Many are hesitant to include their Email address in their APRS packets for fear of SPAM.

There are things that are far worse "threats" for that thing.
Thousands of email list archives, individual user's Outlook mailboxes, ...

> Maybe we need a unique ham radio equvalent for "@".
> Actually, we do.  It is "de"...
>
> In other words... wb4apr de amsat.org which only wastes 3 extra bytes...
>
> Or wb4apr(d)amsat.org which wastes two but makes it one word...  we need an ARRL standard for ham radio.

We do need coherent PROTOCOL SPECIFICATION revision, not million ad-hocs
without coherent documentation.

Begin by defining the character encoding method used when US-ASCII is not
enough for MESSAGEs and supplementary comment texts.  That is something
that INTERNATIONAL users do need, and are now using whatever happens to
work at their software by accident -- which means that DOS and Windows
machines may work together, but Linux systems see line noise, and APRS-IS
gets meaningless data, possibly corrupted.

> Bob, WB4APR

Matti, OH2MQK