[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7 Camera mounting? Additional Thoughts

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 02:44:00 EDT 2008

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the very informative replies.

I'm trying the 1-transistor inverter now.  Thanks for the tip.  (Waiting for the GPS to get a satellite lock from inside the house...  I must say, the 406 module isn't nearly as sensitive as my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx!).  But, I'm not hearing the beep-beep from the D7 like I get when my other GPS doesn't have lock  Are there any special values to use with the transistor?  (I've got a 2n2222 or something like it, a 1k on the Base to the GPS, and a 12k pull-up to +5v on the Collector, with the Emitter in common.)

So, if the Kenwood camera isn't designed to mount on the D7, why do they have those nice 1/8" round notches at the top of the belt clip?  I thought they'd be for mounting something...    I guess they were just for me!  Sounds like I get to invent something myself.

It's an interesting idea to use the Foretrex, except that I'm really getting tired of stringy wires everywhere.  I currently use an old Garmin GPS-III, and while it does work, the wire catches on things and makes the combination not very portable.  It's also too big to mount on top of the D7, though to be fair, I can't put it on my wrist either.

Greg  KO6TH