[aprssig] distributed findu possible ?

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Wed Aug 6 13:01:34 EDT 2008

> 4. The responsible node displays the APRS information (station status, wx, raw data) or is able
>   to show near APRS traffic.

I use a system very similar to this to display APRS traffic. I use a
program called Xastir, but there are a few other programs with similar
features. Xastir allows me to connect to the APRS-IS via my local Tier
2 server. The Tier 2 server then relays APRS traffic to my map. I can
filter by geographic area with a box or radius, and/or request data
for individual stations. By defining a filter specific to only the
data I need, the bandwidth costs are minimal. If I connect a TNC and
radio to the computer, Xastir can also display APRS data from RF and
even help add that data to the APRS-IS system via the same Tier 2
server.

Here are some resources that can help you set this up for yourself:
Installing Xastir (on Windows, OS X, Linux, or BSD):
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_Notes
Determine your local Tier 2 server: http://aprs2.net/

Tom KD7LXL