[aprssig] findU server move time yet again

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Aug 4 17:30:36 EDT 2008

I knew something bad had to happen, findU's been running too smoothly.

The ham who has provided wonderful, discounted server space for
findU's primary machine is exiting the ISP business, which means the
server needs a new home. I have 55 days before it needs to be out of
there.

findU needs a real data center (security, generator power, multiple
bandwidth providers, etc.), home internet connections are not an
option. Here are the specs:

3U rack server (Dell PowerEdge 2950, 6 disk raid, 8GB ram, 8 cores),
monthly bandwidth around 500GB. Need to have dns, smtp, http, httpd,
mysql ports open, the rest closed by firewall.

If you own an ISP and want to host findU email me. After my last
experience I think I prefer to pay, I don't feel so much like I'm
putting someone out when I need something done. Discounts always
appreciated though ;-)

Users should not feel much pain during the move, the second findU
server should be able to handle everything. About the only issue will
be those who email data to findU. The second box is not allowed to
have smtp access, so email to my domains will be down 1-2 days. I'll
be posting notification before the move.

Once I have the new home for findU and I have some idea of the costs
I'll formally open what has become the annual findU fundraising drive.
I'm still $4000 down from last year's new server, and a couple
thousand more from the year before. My plan to make findU self-
supporting isn't going so well, but at least the hardware is in good
shape (knock on wood) so no new expenses there this year. If you want
to get an early jump on the fundraising use the donate button on most
findU pages.

Thanks!

Steve K4HG