[aprssig] APRS at Dayton 2008?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Apr 30 11:47:04 EDT 2008

> you forgot... K9APR-5... at my house and is the
> bridge between Indiana and Ohio... running the
> New-N paradigm...36 miles WNW of the Hamvention...

Thanks!  As a WX station I could not tell that it was a wide
area digipeater as well.  This is good news.... Have you
considered using the DIGI-Weather symbol?

The "\_" DIGI-WX symbol was intended for that purpose.  This
symbol makes your Weather Station show up as a GREEN Weather
symbol, showing that it is also well situated and serving as a
digi too....

> K9APR-5 Digi/Wx
> 1,175' ASL @ 50 Watts....

I'm not sure ASL information is of any value.  Height above sea
level usually only counts for shore VHF stations talking to
ships at sea.  The only thing that really  counts in Ham radio
and APRS is Height Above Average Terrain, or HAAT.  APRS uses
HAAT in displaying radio range on all stations that include it
in their PHG data.

But, unfortunately,  APRS does not have provision for sending
both WX data and PHG data in the same packet.

Thanks.  Looking forward to the drive to Dayton!
And your station looks critical to all people coming in from the
west.  Great job!

Bob, WB4APR