[aprssig] Suggestion for APRS over Satellite

Hans Johnson hans.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 20:58:15 EDT 2008

To be honest, I think it's a situation of six of one, half a dozen of the
other.  A modern MIPS, ARM7, or even something like an Atmel AVR32 should be
able to do the math without much trouble, and draw very little power.  That
said, I'm one of those people who has no qualms using surface mount parts.
;)

Being someone who primarily deals with geo-sync satcomms, I admit to being
somewhat unfamiliar with how quickly the TLEs go out of date for low earth
satellites.  (When tracking inclined-orbit geo-syncs, you need to update
every few weeks or so, otherwise your dish will miss the satellite).

Anyhow, thanks for the input all. :) Just bouncing ideas around.

Peace,

Hans

VA7HAS

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> Won't the remote device then need to have fairly hefty computing power to
> crunch the orbital elements into a useful AOS/LOS prediction for the
> particular location the device is located at?
> I would guess that the power consumption of a controller with enough
> horsepower to do this would exceed the total power consumption of just
> having a much simpler dumber device power up the radio for a few seconds
> every 5 or 10 mins if the transmit bursts are really short.
>
> Not to mention you will also need to power a receiver that won't be needed
> with a "dumber" device, and a real-time clock to wake up the
> controller/transmitter at the appropriate times.
>

> --
>
> Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
> EchoLink Node:      14400    [Think bottom of the 2M band]
> Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.com  --OR--   http://wa8lmf.net
>
> NEW!   World Digipeater Map
>  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps
>
> JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide
>  http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm
>
> "APRS 101"  Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
>  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths
>
> Updated "Rev H" APRS            http://wa8lmf.net/aprs
> Symbols Set for UI-View,
> UIpoint and APRSplus:

Hans Johnson (hjohnson at sfu.ca)
B.ASc, Computer Engineering
Simon Fraser University

... Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes. -- Anonymous