[aprssig] Symbol Protocol Help

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 25 10:35:45 EDT 2008

Ev you are right.  There are two ways to refer to any APRS
symbol combination.  One, byt their actual two bytes (which
actually contain many non-alphanumeric characters) or by their
XYZ equyivalents which only use alphanumeric...

There are 95 symbol bytes
There are 38 "table" bytes ("/","\", and A-Z and 0-9)
And that can make as many as 3610 different combinations.

That is all there is to it.

We had refered to those two bytes as "/$" usually... Though we
should probably havc called them "TS" for the TABLE and SYMBOL
bytes

Except that you cannot use many of those original bytes in the
GPSxyz syntax, because those go in an AX.25 CALLSIGN field that
are limited to alphanumeric only.  Therefore we developed a 3
byte way using only alphanumeric characters to represent those
"TS" bytes.  Both sets, the "TS" and the "XYZ" definitions are
listed in the symbol table for each symbol.

Bob