[aprssig] Symbol Protocol Help

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 06:10:56 EDT 2008

> 12 "series"
> (Primary/Alternate, Lowercase/Secondary,
B????/O????,
> M????/N????, H????/D????, J????/Q????)

Thoser are arbitrary nomenclature.  APRS symbol field
consists only of two bytes.  The second byte is one of
95 ASCII symbols. The first byte is either "/", "\" or
the overlay characters 0-9 and A-Z.

What did I miss?  I can't see where either "/" or "\"
come into play in the GPS/SYM/SPCxyz portion of the
protocol.  "/$" and "GPSxyz" appear to be two entirely
different symbol tables that happen to be mapped at
the series noted above...or did I misunderstand
something?

Btw...I couldn't find any statement that restricted
GPS/SYM/SPCxyz use to raw NMEA posits only (though
there's a lot of documentation and I may have missed
it).

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV