[aprssig] Suggestion for APRS over Satellite

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Apr 22 03:42:42 EDT 2008

Hans Johnson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been toying around with the idea of building some equipment for
> extreme remote telemetry stuff to be done over satellite.  (Similar to
> Bob's project in Mongolia).
>
> Anyhow, one of the things that would be extremely useful is if the
> satellite could (occasionally) include its current orbital data in the
> beacon packet, something like a condensed version of the Two Line
> Element and a CRC.  Using this information, it could then power down
> the radio until the next useful satellite pass.  This would
> drastically reduce the power requirements for a remote site.  Also,
> things like asatlogger and what not could use the information to
> update their pass predictions automatically.

Won't the remote device then need to have fairly hefty computing power
to crunch the orbital elements into a useful AOS/LOS prediction for the
particular location the device is located at?

I would guess that the power consumption of a controller with enough
horsepower to do this would exceed the total power consumption of just
having a much simpler dumber device power up the radio for a few seconds
every 5 or 10 mins if the transmit bursts are really short.

Not to mention you will also need to power a receiver that won't be
needed with a "dumber" device, and a real-time clock to wake up the
controller/transmitter at the appropriate times.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps