[aprssig] Battery & Charger for APRS Station

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 21 18:39:03 EDT 2008

Steve,

I wonder if you misunderstood the function of the solar charge
controller? It didn't float the battery at 14.4 or 13.4, they were the
switch off and switch on limits for charging. It was a cyclic function.
perhaps somewhat similar to the charger John refers to except time isn't
a function, just voltage.

I can understand the need in a solar powered installation to maximise
charge for maximum night time and inclement weather periods supply
capacity and I suspect that's the reason for the cyclic charging.
Solarex documentation didn't have much to say about it.

The problem with a 13.8v float charge is that a) the battery is only
charged to about 85% capacity and b) the electrolyte doesn't get stirred
up - the specific gravity at the bottom of a cell can be quite different
to that at the top (not a problem with SLA!). The gassing/boost charge
sorts that out.

I can only imagine that Solarex (and Ctek) are looking for the best of
both worlds - decent charge level without using excessive water, and a
form of battery conditioning as well. Whether it's ideal or not is open
to debate.

Regarding RF pollution from chargers. I had a homebrew 15A/13.8v supply
of standard design - bridge, big cap, 723 regulator driving external
pass transistors. This supply produced RFI up to the 6m band and it was
coming from the bridge rectifier. A 0.1uF disc ceramic across the
rectifier DC tabs fixed it.

Ray vk2tv