[aprssig] 20th century radio (was: APRS MileMark data base)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Fri Apr 18 07:16:38 EDT 2008

Well there you go.... All you europeans need to do is divide your km markers
by 1.609 in your head to get your mile marker before calling for help.
<smile>

(pet peeves follow)
I am amazed we can't switch to metric after 150 years - but we did redefine
the inch to be exactly 2.54cm in 1959.  And only a handful of the US States
have adopted this "international foot" since that time.  So much for our
standards.

Wes

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Jan T. Pharo <la2bba at jpharo.net> wrote:

> "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>, Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:32
> -0400:
>
> >Actually, because of their value, almost all states now have
> >markers every 0.1 mile.  This places a marker in view of ANY
> >stranded person within 250 feet.
>
> Most motorways (Autobahn type) in Europe has half kilometer markers,
> AFAIK.
> For several countries, main routes (non-Autobahn) also have markers.
> In some countries, even 200 or 100 meter markers.
> At least in my country, also county roads have half kilometer markers.
> If in an emergensy, I think I'd give ethe nearest marker position if I
> see it or remember it before I struggle to read a lat/long position.
>
> --
> 73 de Jan, LA2BBA
> Hvaler, Norway

Wes
---
Where there's silence, there is no Hope.