[aprssig] 20th century radio (was: APRS MileMark data base)

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Fri Apr 18 01:30:45 EDT 2008

"Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>, Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:32
-0400:

>Actually, because of their value, almost all states now have
>markers every 0.1 mile.  This places a marker in view of ANY
>stranded person within 250 feet.

Most motorways (Autobahn type) in Europe has half kilometer markers,
AFAIK.
For several countries, main routes (non-Autobahn) also have markers.
In some countries, even 200 or 100 meter markers.
At least in my country, also county roads have half kilometer markers.
If in an emergensy, I think I'd give ethe nearest marker position if I
see it or remember it before I struggle to read a lat/long position.

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway