[aprssig] 20th century radio (was: APRS MileMark data base)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 18:13:50 EDT 2008

Pentti Gronlund wrote:
> Ehhh...what exactly are these mile marks? We have streets and
> street numbers here in EU.
>
> Bob, I think you have a too narrow perspective with these mile
> markers and other odd proposals of yours. I've never been to
> _North_ America either, it would be good for both of us to do
> a little of travelling instead of dry specification work :)
>
> Benjamin OH3BK

In the U.S. the major cross-country highways known as the Interstate
Highway System (high-speed 4-lane or more divided highways similar to
autobahns) have a serially-numbered marker along the side of the road
each mile.

Normally these start at zero at the western end of (approximately)
east-west routes and at the southern end of north-south routes.   The
value counts up to a maximum value at the other end.   On routes that
cross several states, the counter resets each time you cross a state
line into a new state.    Interstate highway exit ramps are often
identified on signs and on maps by the mile-marker number they are
closest to.   More recently, these mile marks show on many car
navigation GPS devices; they show prominently on my Garmin Nuvi 680
mapping GPS.

One of the first mass high-profile uses of the mile markers was in the
1970s when long-haul truckers starting using them to report the location
of highway police over the then-new  CB radios.

The database in question for APRS is a list containing the lat/long
coordinates of the beginning, mid-point and end of the Interstate
segments in each state.    Entering a mile mark number into the APRS
apps that suport this then interpolates where that mile approximately is.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps