[aprssig] 20th century radio

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Apr 17 16:05:51 EDT 2008

> this close to $1000 box (at the European dealers) at least
> a bit modern, with some small improvements like:
>
> -a keyboard
> -a decent video display (320 x 200 will do)
> -a built-in navigator

I'm still hoping to see the HamHUD V completed.  It'd have most of those
features.

I don't think we're going to see this from any of the major Japanese
radio manufacturers.  When was the last time you saw any of them turn
out anything even close to cutting-edge and innovative?  We get the
cast-offs from their commercial projects.

As for the built-in navigator, I think the big obstacle there is the
cost in licensing the navigation software and maps.  Last I checked, it
was prohibitively expensive for relatively low-volume applications.
Granted, there's a little more competition in the field these days.

> Ehhh...what exactly are these mile marks? We have streets and
> street numbers here in EU.

Yeah, us Californians are without mile markers as well.

Scott
N1VG