[aprssig] APRS Device in Mongolia?

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Apr 15 00:44:41 EDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, Jan T. Pharo wrote:

> Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com>, Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:01:12 -0400 (EDT):
>
>>  Last I checked, Mongolia was an 'autonomous republic' in China.
>
> The republic Mongolia, prefix JT, is not a part of China.

Thank you for setting me straight.

   I visited China in '96 and again in '98  On one of those trips, our
national Guide was Mongolian, and he described his home as an autonomous
region within China.
   I just checked several articles on Wikipedia, and learned that there is
an 'inner Mongolia', which is indeed within China, and 'Outer Mongolia'
which is also known as the republic of Mongolia, has been independent
since 1911, and apparently more aligned with Russia than China.  There is
also talk of a 'Greater Mongolia' which encompases both inner and outer
mongolia, as well as several regions of China and Russia where people of
mongol heritage form a significant minority.  Just talk, though, no
significant political influence.

So the political barriers may not be as severe as I imagined.  But still,
is such a remote location the appropriate place for a piece of prototype
hardware?  Mt. St. Helens was in the news again this week.  Is it's
Caldera a place that we'd like to observe, but not have to visit very
often?  Certainly we can think of other sites that are worthy of study,
but difficult and/or dangerous to visit, where such a robotic observation
post would be ideal.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin