[aprssig] NEW laptop for APRS with a Serial Port?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Apr 14 13:52:21 EDT 2008

Part of the reason for resistance is increased tech support.  USB
introduces driver compatibility issues where RS-232 has none.  Many
(most?) consumer electronics manufacturers avoid this by using
off-the-shelf converter chips or IP and leaving the drivers to someone
else (like FTDI or Prolific).

Native USB also means significantly increased complexity in the device.
  It's also such a host-centric protocol that the interface is
essentially useless for connecting other small devices (like a GPS
receiver).  Even USB On-the-Go is vastly more complicated than an RS-232
link.

Yeah, I'll add native USB ports to my products eventually.  I've already
experimented with it, but I'm really not looking forward to supporting
multiple operating systems and platforms.

For now, I'm testing out some tracker cables with built-in converter
chips and 5-volt pass-through on pin 4 of the DB9 side.  This should
give you all of the benefits (except reduced connector size) of USB,
while still retaining the flexibility of RS-232.

Scott
N1VG